We are regulars at the Sarvana Bhavan’s in Wembley. The restaurant is always jam packed similar to how it is in India with very long waiting queues. And by the time we get seated am usually ravenously hungry ! It’s a no brainer for me to order Medhu vada and Chapati kurma , as they serve them really fast. Yumm..the chapati kurma.This dish has been my all time favourite and I always wondered what made the dish so exotic. It goes so well with pooris too.
So, I have been longing to try this Saravana Bhavan’s kurma for a while now and finally when I had a variety of veggies at home, I gave it a try. I started searching in one of the Facebook food groups I am a member of, and found this recipe.It came out really well, must say. Base recipe here.
There are a lot of ingredients in the dish, but trust me each one of them has a role to play. So the best way to start would be to have all of them handy, making the process simple and easy. So, here’s my version of the recipe.
Preparation time – 30 mins | Cooking time – 15 mins
- Mixed veggies – 1 cup each of potatoes, cauliflower,beans,carrots, peas.
- 1 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 slit green chillies
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1 cup Chopped Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
For flavory paste –
- 6-7 whole cashews
- 4 tsp of grated coconut
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Pressure cook all the veggies and set them aside
- Make a fine flavory paste, with the ingredients mentioned above – cashews,coconut,poppy seeds
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add the spices and green chillies.Fry them for a minute.
- Add onions and ginger garlic paste next.Saute them until the rawness disappears. Add tomotoes next and saute them for 1 more minute.
- Add the cooked vegetables, turmeric,coriander powder,red chilli powder,salt in that order
- Cook for a minute and then add in the flavory paste,garam masala,curd.
- Keep stirring for 2 minutes and then add hot milk to the dish.(you can try using cream instead, I haven’t tried)
- Cook for a minute and switch off the flame. Add coriander to garnish.
The dish is now ready to be served . Keep smiling and stay happy !